RPG Combat System (Work in progress) - Oxheart

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: RPG Combat System (Work in progress) - Oxheart

Post by Yuan'Do on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 pm

As time of writing, yes. The contents of the table will likely be tweaked as we develop the system, but we'll post if there are any changes.
Yuan'Do
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoi on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Yes, please add descriptions of what 'Novice', 'Tested' and 'Seasoned' mean. A short little story as to what type of person this would be.
Rinoi
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoi on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Here’s what I came up with. I always saw Rinoi as more of a parry/deflect/dodge sort of warrior. She can take hits, but she dances around more. (Hence the shield with obvious holes in it- it’s lighter, and can be used to disarm etc.) Unfortunately the class abilities don’t work too well with that, but perhaps those can be customised later on.

Rinoi Du’nai
Swashbucklin’ Protector

13 points (12 from Seasoned, 1 from the human racial ability)

4 Stamina
2 Strength
6 Awareness
1 Agility

Racial - Human:
[The Human Condition]: Increase a stat by 1 point.

Class - Warrior:

[Overpower]:  When a warrior receives a wound from a melee opponent, they may make a Strength attack to that opponent.

[Sword and Board]:  When a warrior has a shield equipped, increase Stamina by 3 points.

[Berserker]:  When a warrior doesn't have a shield equipped, increase Strength by 2 point.

PS: Isn’t Berserker with an S?
Rinoi
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuan'Do on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Added a short bit of flavor text to the Novice, Tested, Seasoned and Veterans.

English spelling is Berserker, American is Berzerker.

Feats will let you customize your character more.
Yuan'Do
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jian Shu on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:05 pm

So, the system itself seems rather straight forward and all, but I'll just take the liberty of scribbling down some feedback on these.

erwtenpeller wrote:Yuan and me have been talking about systems throughout the day, and the following is a proposal for a series of base attributes, racial and class feats that I dreamt up during those conversations. Details about the combat system have yet to be written down.

BASE ATTRIBUTES:
These are the base starts that drive combat rolls. Investing points in these will make your character more proficient in making the actions associated with them.

Stamina:
Every point of Endurance adds one wound a character can take before being taken out of the fight.
Wounds can be restored by Mending.

Jian's notes wrote: Straight forward and simple to understand. No comments here.

Strength:
Every point of Strength adds +5 to any roll made to make melee attacks, or actions that require physical strength.

Agility:
Every point of Agility adds +5 to any roll made to make ranged attacks, or actions that require precision.

Jian's notes wrote:These two could be clarified better. Jian is a monk, and as such is a very agile fighter. Most strikes, jabs, punches and kicks available to a martial artist require a lot of precision, so agility would help him do that better, right? But, then again, all of it is also melee combat and strength would increase my physical prowess, which also would increase my power here. As a monk, do I simply benefit equally from agility and strength? If so, what is to stop me from going full agility, netting the +5 per point bonus on my jabs and kicks on account of precision strikes, but also allowing me to pick up a ranged weapon and be deadly with that. Similarly, for example, a javelin thrower would require physical strength to launch his javelin with enough force to be lethal. Does a throw get strength bonus? If this is intended, fair enough. If not, I'd suggest simply renaming one to melee prowess and the other to marksmanship.

Awareness:
Every point of Awareness adds +5 to any roll made to avoid taking damage, and any roll made to spot things in the environment.

Jian's notes wrote:This is an interesting stat. Allows you to spec into a more supportive role where you might not be able to keep up in combat (because all you do is avoid) but you'll be able to solve puzzles and so on much easier. I'm looking forward to seeing this play out.

Evocation:
Every point of Evocation adds +5 to any roll made to cast a harmful spell.

Jian's notes wrote:Only one question I have about this (and attunement) is where illusion magic would fit in, since illusions have both offensive and defensive implications depending on how they're used. I might suggest splitting these two stats into an arcane magic stat and a divine magic stat, as lorewise spell schools aren't divided by offensive and defensive magic, but rather into what school of magic you're practicing. I'd still class support spell (distinction between defensive and support being that defensive helps you survive while support helps you protect or enhance your team mates. A healer picks mending, a shadowpriest picks divine magic, a mage picks arcane magic. The defensive magic stat doesn't have much distinction anyways, as awareness could easily be merged with it (rolling to see if your ward holds against an attack could be counted as "a roll made to avoid taking damage"). Otherwise, personally, I'd just go evocation + awareness anyways because attunement doesn't grant me bonus rolls to detect stuff.

Attunement:
Every point of Attunement adds +5 to any roll made to cast non-harmful* spells.
* Example: Protective shields, Wards, buffs, environment changes, weather-- etc.

Mending:
Every point of Mending adds +5 to any roll made to restore a wound.

CLASS FEATS:
Every class has their own strengths and weaknesses. Class Feats add some base attributes, and sometimes unique mechanics to your character.
The following are made to reflect the classes as they are presented to us in game. If you want to create a snowflake class for your character, you might be able to by staring a dialogue about it.

Hunter:

[Marksman]:
Increase Agility by two points.

[Survival Instincts]:
Increase Awareness by one point.

[Beast Master]:
The hunter may use their Agility score to attack with their pet.

Jian's notes wrote: Does pets attack individually or does a pet attack spend the hunter's turn?

Mage:

[Scholar]:
Reduce Brawn and Endurance by one point, increase Evocation and Attunement by two.

[Abjuration]:
The character may use their Attunement instead of their Awareness to avoid wounds.

Jian's notes wrote:If you can't use attunement to avoid damage, why are wards listed in the list of spells they enhance? See my notes about the spell caster stats.

Paladin:

[Divine Intervention]:
Once every fight, a paladin may choose to re-roll a bad roll.

[Smite the wicked]:
When facing an opponent perceived as "evil", the character may make a magic attack using their Mending.

Jian's notes wrote:These two, the anti-evil and divine intervention perks are amazing. Really creative. I'd suggest allowing a paladin with Divine Intervention to use it to let a team mate redo a bad roll, too, though.

Jian Shu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jian Shu on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Also, just putting my sheet in.

Jian Shu (Seasoned)

Strength - 8
Stamina - 3 (+ 2 from racial)
Awareness - 1

(All other skills are set to 0, and as such, confer no roll modifier.)

Feats -
Racial - Pandaren:
[Bearheart]: Increase Stamina by 2 points.

Class - Monk:
A monk may choose one of the following when a fight begins:

[Stance of the Fierce Tiger]:
Increase Strength by 2 points.

[Stance of the Wise Serpent]:
Increase Mending by 2 points.

[Stance of the Stalwart Ox]:
Increase Endurance by 2 points.

Last edited by Jian Shu on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Jian Shu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygos on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Character sheet
(haatim, Seasoned)

[Attributes]

Stamina 2 (1 + 1 from class feat)

Strenght 2 (2)

Awareness 2 (2)

Evocation 1 (1)

Attunement 5 (5)

Mending 5 (1 + 3 racial feat + 1 class feat )

Feats

[Gift of the Naaru]:
Increase mending by 3 points.

[Champion of the Light]:
Increase Endurance and Mending by one point.

[Divine Intervention]:
Once every fight, a paladin may choose to re-roll a bad roll.

[Smite the wicked]:
When facing an opponent perceived as "evil", the character may make a magic attack using their Mending.

is it done the right way?

Last edited by Caelyb_ on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I saw a error)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarlin on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Tarlin (Seasoned)

Stamina - 4
Agililty - 6 ( 4+2 )
Awareness - 6 ( 4+1+1 )
Strength - 1 ( 0+1 )

Worgen:

[Feral Beast]:
Increase Awareness and Strength by 1 point.

Hunter:

[Marksman]:
Increase Agility by two points.

[Survival Instincts]:
Increase Awareness by one point.

[Beast Master]:
The hunter may use their Agility score to attack with their pet.
Tarlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrena on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 am

ok monrena at seasond due to being 1500 years old with lots of life experiance espeshialy in grenades and engeneering
seasond engeneer and grenedeer! 12
draenie ------------------ 3(heals)
hunter ------------------- 2 (agil) 1 (aware)
total ------------------------ 18

Heals ---------- 5
agility --------- 7
stam ---------- 3
awareness ----- 3

total 18

Last edited by Monrena on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Monrena
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrena on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:19 am

wait so we can use all 3 specs?
Monrena
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygos on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:20 am

Monrena wrote:wait  so we can use all 3 specs?

Thats how I understood it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dranac/Naya on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:38 am

Naya
Draenei ( plus 3 Mending racial )
Monkish ( Stance of the Fierce Tiger Increase Strength by 2 points. )

Mending 3
agility 2
stam 3
awareness 2
Strength 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:47 am

Replies time!

Jian:

Jian Shu wrote:These two could be clarified better. Jian is a monk, and as such is a very agile fighter. Most strikes, jabs, punches and kicks available to a martial artist require a lot of precision, so agility would help him do that better, right? But, then again, all of it is also melee combat and strength would increase my physical prowess, which also would increase my power here. As a monk, do I simply benefit equally from agility and strength? If so, what is to stop me from going full agility, netting the +5 per point bonus on my jabs and kicks on account of precision strikes, but also allowing me to pick up a ranged weapon and be deadly with that. Similarly, for example, a javelin thrower would require physical strength to launch his javelin with enough force to be lethal. Does a throw get strength bonus? If this is intended, fair enough. If not, I'd suggest simply renaming one to melee prowess and the other to marksmanship.

That would be the best option. The attributes are meant to very specifically split different specialities and functions, and those names would reflect that better.

Might be worth renaming Stamina to Health as well.

Jian Shu wrote:Only one question I have about this (and attunement) is where illusion magic would fit in, since illusions have both offensive and defensive implications depending on how they're used. I might suggest splitting these two stats into an arcane magic stat and a divine magic stat, as lorewise spell schools aren't divided by offensive and defensive magic, but rather into what school of magic you're practicing. I'd still class support spell (distinction between defensive and support being that defensive helps you survive while support helps you protect or enhance your team mates. A healer picks mending, a shadowpriest picks divine magic, a mage picks arcane magic. The defensive magic stat doesn't have much distinction anyways, as awareness could easily be merged with it (rolling to see if your ward holds against an attack could be counted as "a roll made to avoid taking damage"). Otherwise, personally, I'd just go evocation + awareness anyways because attunement doesn't grant me bonus rolls to detect stuff.

Illusion magic would be Attunement in every instance.

If an illusion is capable of damaging an opponent, it is no longer an illusion.

That does give me a fun idea - An [Invisibility] perk that allows someone to Stealth using an Attunement roll.

The goal of the system is to divide by function, not by theme. Your chosen class determines the type of magic you use already, the attributes should be pure function, with all thematics stripped from them.

Separating supportive spells from damage and healing ensures that a caster class can not get too powerful compared to the other classes. If you were to allow them to cast any sort of spell with their one magic attribute, they would gain a lot more utility from that one attribute as any other class.

In the ideal situation, every class/archetype has two different attributes (aside from stamina) that are important for them to invest in.

Jian Shu wrote:Does pets attack individually or does a pet attack spend the hunter's turn?

The pet attack takes up the hunter's turn. One action per round, in any situation.
The pet attack is a thematic choice for the most part - You will rarely see a situation where the hunter is not able to shoot their gun, but their pet is able to attack.

Jian Shu wrote:If you can't use attunement to avoid damage, why are wards listed in the list of spells they enhance? See my notes about the spell caster stats.

The difference is that a ward (that, for example, adds one health or one Awareness) is actively cast during the player round.
The [Abjuration] perk clarifies that the classes that have it can use the Attunement attribute reactively to prevent wounds in the enemy round, where normally you would only be able to use Awareness for that.

Jian Shu wrote:These two, the anti-evil and divine intervention perks are amazing. Really creative. I'd suggest allowing a paladin with Divine Intervention to use it to let a team mate redo a bad roll, too, though.

That seems like something better solved with an active Attunement roll, but it's worth considering.
erwtenpeller
Admin

View user profile http://bandofthebrave.host-power.com

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:52 am

As requested, here's a preliminary write-up of how I think combat should work when using this system.

COMBAT.

From the moment one of the players initiates a fight, or a fight is initiated upon them, combat starts.

Combat is played out in alternating rounds, the side that initiates combat making the first round.

• The Enemy Round - The DM makes the enemy entities do their actions. How many there are and what they do depends on the nature of the encounter.
  • The Hero Round - The players may all make one action.

Enemy entities.

The nature of enemy entities and what they are capable of is entirely up to the dungeon master. Enemy entities can have the following attributes:

• Health: How many hits it takes to kill one.
  • Attack: How difficult it is to avoid being wounded by one.
  • Defense: How difficult it is to wound one.

At their discretion, a dungeon master may set a different Defense rating for defending against different types of attack. The amount of wounds they receive when being hit by different types of attacks may also vary.
Health is expressed in a simple number.
Attack and Defense are expressed in a roll difficulty (roll over x to succeed).

The DM may also make enemies perform a wild variety of effects that is up to the DM's discretion.
For example: An enemy might let out a how of terror that frightens nearby players to run away unless they make a certain roll.

This may look like a bit of a pickle to deal with for both dungeon masters and players, but keep in mind that not all enemy attributes are at play at the same time.

The Enemy Round.

Example wrote:Raid Warning: ENEMY ROUND: BEGINS

During the enemy round, the DM will make the enemy entities perform actions.
When this action is a harmful one that would target one or multiple players, the DM will announce these targets, and the roll they have to make to avoid being effected (The enemy's Attack attribute)

Example wrote:Raid Warning: The RED murloc twirls his blade around in a sweeping attack! Everyone at close range of the RED murloc, roll 50+ to avoid.

The players themselves should know which attribute roll applies to them in the given situation, unless the DM specifies an exception.

The players affected will roll for success first, then emote what happens to their character. If they lose health, it is a good idea for them to mention this explicitly.

Yuan'do knows she must roll an Awareness roll to successfully anticipate the attack made against her. Her awareness is 4, giving her a +20 bonus to her roll. She has 6 health.

Yuan'do rolls 55 (/Roll 20-100)

She can avoid taking a wound, and remain at full health.

She then emotes the result:

Example wrote:Yuando: Yuan'do sees the Murloc's attack coming in time and raises her shield to block it. (6/6)

Example wrote:Raid Warning: ENEMY ROUND: ENDS

The Hero Round.

Example wrote:Raid Warning: HERO ROUND: BEGINS

During the hero round, players are presented with the enemies they are facing and how difficult they are to defeat, and how much health they have. This is the most difficult part of the event for the dungeon master, especially when the enemies start stacking up.

The dungeon master may ask if there are any players that want to make an Attunement roll other players might benefit from before the round really begins. This is so that other players may take any buffs they receive into account when they roll. Depending on what they're trying to do, the DM will set a difficulty for their roll.

Example wrote:Raid Warning: Does anyone want to cast any buffs?
Shapur: I'd like bless Yuan'do with 1 additional health for this fight.
Raid Warning: Roll at Attunement 70+
Shapur rolls 77 (40-100)
Shapur: Shapur prays to the Light, and a shimmering shield appears around Yuan'do, protecting her from harm. (Yuan'do +1 health)

We then proceed with announcing the enemies as normal. Shapur has made his action for this round.

Example wrote:Raid Warning: You face MURLAXIS, Murloc lord of the soggy legion! RED, Roll 60+ to hit, he has (2/2) health!

The player may then take one action. They will roll the appropriate dice, and emote the result.
It is advised players specify their target, and if the attack was successful in their emote, to alleviate DM stress.

Yuan'do wants to stab the murloc with her spear. She knows this is a strength roll, and she has 3 strength. A +15 bonus.

Yuan'do rolls 77 (/Roll 15-100), a hit!

Example wrote:Yuando: Yuan'do stabs the RED murloc right in the eye. (RED, 1 damage)

The DM then recounts all damage done, and emotes the results to the players. Just for good measure.

Example wrote:Raid Warning: The RED murloc is looking bloody! He is at (1/2) health!
Raid Warning: HERO ROUND: ENDS
erwtenpeller
Admin

View user profile http://bandofthebrave.host-power.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrena on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:15 am

Henita has joind the ranks    thow its rair I will rp her   here are her stats

Pandarian --+2 stam
Warr -------+2 strength
Tested------+10

Stam--Strength
-4-------10

Henita is a heavy hitter!

Last edited by Monrena on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Monrena
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jian Shu on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:20 am

Note, warriors only get the 3 stam when they use a shield and the 2 str when they don't.
Jian Shu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrena on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:54 am

oh i see  thank you for clarification  it was not made clear  or mabie im just noob  its edited

ps is this the same with the hunter stats also? how do i seperate between survival and Marksman and beast?
Monrena
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jian Shu on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:21 am

Nope. It's specified in the warrior perks that +3 endurance is shield only and that +2 str is only when not wearing a shield. The hunter one doesn't specify that it's one or the other, and as such you don't have to pick.
Jian Shu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrena on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:35 am

fair enough Smile henita is one of those warrs that will always pick a two handed hamemr over a shield
Monrena
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrena on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:28 am

*little thread bump* how is this progressing?
Monrena
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top