OOC background story: A night in the dunes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OOC background story: A night in the dunes

Post by Tacitus on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 am

A night in the dunes
Tacitus peered over the edges of the wall of Gadgetzan onto the desert of Tanaris and its ever changing dunes. The wind was slowly picking up and Tacitus pulled up his scarf to cover his face from the incoming sand particles which would soon feel like whipping upon bare skin. Just barely out of ear-shot, Tacitus could hear the voices of his ‘father’, rather his slaver, talking to some adventurers about heading into the desert inside of one of the clay huts that Gadgetzan was filled with.

“No no no, I can’t do that. Do you know how stupid one would have to be to want to head out into those deserts during these times? I don’t got anyone crazy enough to guide you. No way pal, you’ll have to wait until this sandstorm wears off.” Sammy Goldslick said to the group of well geared and supplied adventurers whilst shaking his head firmly. He was a goblin of money, not a goblin of stupidity, he knew that any of his guides that he would send out there with these buffoons would end up dead or lost in the wastes.

The toughest looking of the adventurers, a human with arms bigger than his brain, stepped forwards to the goblin and spoke. “Please! All we ask is for a guide to take us to the titan ruins to the south, that we might search the place and maybe even find treasures of vast importance and wealth! We do not ask for this guide to stay with us, merely guide us there and we will help ourselves!”

Sammy let out an exasperated sigh. He was never going to get these idiots off his back unless he did something. He looked at the group of adventurers scrutinizingly. There was a male Night elf with the same incredibly swollen chest as the rest of his race carried, a daintier looking female human who wore something which could only be referred to as less than protective cloth for armor and a female night elf which looked much stronger, taller, armoured and angrier than any of the others in the group, as if someone had just woken her from sleeping and put motor oil in her breakfast cereal, sheesh, this group was something alright, but they didn’t look all too memorable. Sammy peered up at the human who posed as their leader, his armor shining even in the dim light of the hut, clearly showing himself as a paladin. The goblin grunted and suddenly he had an idea. He slowly said “So uh… You guys… You don’t seem like you have anyone waiting for you at home, do yah?”

“Nay! We do this for the honor and glory of bringing about new discoveries and knowledge to the world!” The human fellow bellowed. The angry looking night elf retorted: “Speak for yourself tin-can man. I’m here for the money only.” The two other companions muttered their mutual agreements to that statement and the paladins shoulders slumped in surrender and sighed. Sammy nodded faintly, his head slowly grinding out a plan. “Alright, you got a deal, I’ll send you on your way with one of my best guides, but he ain’t cheap! Just so you know!” The quartet looked ecstatic and all of them nodded. “Anything! We’ll pay you anything!” the paladin nearly yelled in Sammy’s face. A mischievous grin slowly formed on the diminutive goblins face. “Alright then sucke- I mean customers… I need you to cough up 50 gold before we have a deal, up front, let me see it.”

The adventurers quickly emptied their pockets for any money they had, some of it Sammy wondered how the female human even carried, but he decided he would remain none the wiser and just accept the gold. “Alright, this looks good, lemme just get the guy, I promise you, he is the best. Practically born in this place.” Sammy exclaimed as he walked to the entrance of the hut and called out: “Yo! Tacitus! Get your ass in here!”

Tacitus heard the call of his ‘father’, he hesitated abiding, wanting to pretend that he didn’t hear it over the desert noise, but he knew that if he didn’t come instantly, some other crazy punishment would be added to his ‘debt’. He sighed and dropped down from the crates stacked up against the wall and ran to the opening. “Coming!” he yelled out against the wind. He came to the entrance of the hut and stood pretty much face to face with Sammy, albeit he was a little taller as he was nearing his growth spurt of the teenage years. “You wanted to see me boss?” He said slowly, as if trying to act like he didn’t know what he was supposed to do, of course Sammy knew, but those adventurers didn’t and by the looks they were giving him, they didn’t think much of him either.

“I need you to guide these well-paying customers to the titan ruins to the south, they paid good money so I want you to make sure you do your job well aight?” Sammy said seriously, but the glint in his eye told Tacitus everything he needed to know. The paladin stepped up behind Sammy and spoke. “Excuse me sir goblin… But you cannot be in your entirety serious that this is your best guide? In the whole of Gadgetzan?” Sammy turned around and the tone in his voice wasn’t happy. “What exactly are you saying to me hotshot? You don’t believe me? You don’t think I take my business serious? When I tell you that my guy is the best damned guide on this side of Azeroth, then you better damned well believe it, you hear me?!” Tacitus knew most of it was just an act, but he still felt a bit of pride at the words, even more so at the paladins’ fearful reaction of potentially losing their only guide through the sands. “Oh no no! I merely wondered seeing as our guide is so… well.. young, merely a teenager by the looks of it..” He said demurely, a pleasing sight somewhat for Tacitus. Sammy scoffed at the armored man and shook his head. “Just take my word for it eh? Goblin oath for yah.” Bullshit, was all Tacitus could think about. The paladin turned to his comrades for a moment and they shrugged in response, he turned to look at the goblin again and nodded. “Alright! Then we shall head off.” He looked at Tacitus with hopeful gleaming eyes. “I trust you will lead us there safely.” He exclaimed happily. Tacitus gave an assuring smile. “Of course. Are you all ready to go?” he asked the group. They nodded. “Alright then, I just need some supplies and then we shall be off.” He said matter of factly and went to grab a small bag holding vital supplies as well as also taking a large blanket with a sandy motive on it, looking quite a lot like the sands of Tanaris.

Tacitus gave the group of adventurers a nod as they stand just outside the town. Sammy stands at the gate and peers over at them. “Let’s head out then, we have quite a walk, and we will have to sleep in the desert for the night.” He spoke out, the sun had gone down in the distance, the air slowly turning colder but the sandstorm not slowing down. The adventurers nodded, seemingly having accepted Tacitus as their guide. “By your lead then!” The paladin bawled. Tacitus rolled his eyes behind his mask which luckily wasn’t visible. He waved for them to follow as he turned and started trekking into the sands and the four adventurers eagerly following his lead.

They had trekked for what seemed like several hours, the air turning nearly freezing, before Tacitus stopped behind a dune and put his satchel down. “We’ll make camp here for the night, we will make the rest of the way tomorrow.” He spoke out loud enough for the others to hear. The paladin was about to object to the sudden stop, but his companions had already followed suit and sat down with their packages, so once more the paladin sighed in defeat and sat down with himself. They all pulled out their own blankets of all sorts of various colors and patterns which stood out harshly against the sand they were sitting on. Tacitus picked out his own blanket which nearly went into one with the sand. The adventurers started to loudly talk about their explorations and adventures. Tacitus threw the blanket up around himself, covering himself and effectively camouflaging himself against the sand. He knew what would happen and he would rather hide himself away until everything was done, but he was never this lucky, he could hope at least.

Tacitus soon fell asleep to the sound of the adventurers talking and he slept undisturbed for quite a while until he was woken by sounds of moaning and groaning. By the sounds of it… the two humans had decided to share some body-heat with each other in the cold night… This wasn’t something he wanted to hear and he tried to shut out the worst of their sounds and voices until they too went silent again and he fell asleep once more.
It was just one more time that he was awoken, this time it wasn’t the sound of talking, of pleasure or anything else positive for that matter… No… It was the sound of horrified and dying screams of the adventurers. Tacitus knew exactly what it was and he kept as silent and still as he could. The reasons for the screams were the local scorpions which only came out at night. Their sting holds a poison which is strong enough to kill an ogre and the pain inflicted was enough to drive a man crazy. There were antidotes, but they were too far away from Gadgetzan for it to be possible for them to get there. He was forced to lie in wait and in silence, listening to the horrified screams of pain and suffering from the quartet of adventurers, the paladin screaming out Tacitus’ name as if thinking he had left them, but no, Tacitus was lying less than a meter from them, hidden away.

It was first an hour later that all noise stopped, the last being the female night elfs sobbing of fear and pain, mixed with pained gurgles until slowly even she succumbed to the venom and a soft thud against sand was heard. Tacitus finally crept out of hiding and peered at the scene. The Male Night elf seemed to have been the one to take the quickest way out… a knife laid in his hand and the sand was strewn with purple blood. The two humans seemed to have somehow found each other in an embrace, their faces scrounged up horribly in a grimace of pure dread and fear. The female night elf was lying in a ball, her arms hugging her legs and her face having clear signs of tears falling down her sand covered cheeks.

Tacitus looked at the scene and proceeded to walk over to kick the paladin in the chest whilst screaming out loud. “WHY!? WHY THE HELL DO YOU ASSHOLES ALWAYS HAVE TO GO THESE PLACES?! You fucking make me sick! All of you! All of you fucking adventurers! I hate you! You are the reason I am forced to do this… Watching everyone die because you fucking want some adventure! Selfish pricks!” Tacitus cried out, falling to his knees crying loudly. For a long time he was stuck on his knees, tears streaming down his face. First after a while did he start moving, gathering the blankets together and tying them into one larger blanket. He’d grab his own bag of supplies and pull out a large stick. He’d tie the large blanket into the stick and plant it on top of the dune like a flag. He’d grab his own blanket and bag, going to slowly trudge his way back to Gadgetzan.

After a few hours he finally saw the dust-colored walls of Gadgetzan. He sped up his trudging to reach the town faster. At the gate Sammy stood with a large grin plastered all over his smug face. “Is it done?” He asked as Tacitus passed. “It is. Second dune to the south, large flag of multiple colors marks the spot. You can’t miss it.” He responded and Sammy nodded slowly. “Good work kid. As always.” Tacitus ignored him and kept walking on. “Hey kid.” Sammy called out, which stopped Tacitus dead in his tracks and made him turn his head to wait for the rest. “Happy birthday.” The goblin said neutrally.
Tacitus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OOC background story: A night in the dunes

Post by Charlie Blazesong on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:35 am

Great story, I enjoyed it Very Happy I rarely take myself the time to read stuff, but this I dont regret reading.
Charlie Blazesong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Right. We are never going to Tanaris, ever.
erwtenpeller
Admin

View user profile http://bandofthebrave.host-power.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:14 pm

*sudden flashback*
Charlie Blazesong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 pm

I mean, not with Tacitus around to look the other way while we get murdered by scorpions!

Can't you see? That paladin and that scantly-clad harlot are a clear reference to Wellsworth and Charlie. Even Manxirar is in the story! We're doomed, I say. DOOMED. This is a prophecy!
erwtenpeller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 pm

You call Charlie a harlot?! Ok maybe you're right.
Charlie Blazesong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tacitus on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Actually it only occurred to me AFTER I wrote the story that those two could be clear references to at least Wellsworth. Not exactly what I had in mind when I wrote it, just wanted some fun archetypes which I now realise that we all are really.
Tacitus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:03 pm

I guess that means I did a good job building Wellsworth after the "Righteous Hero" archetype Wink
erwtenpeller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top